If you would like to have an advertisement placed on this page, please contact us.
Rates for a classified ad on this webpage are free to members, $25 to non-members, subject to NCIBA approval.
Sales Assistant, Perseus Books Group
This position provides sales, marketing, and administrative support to PGW’s Berkeley Sales Management and Field Sales Force.
Assist VP, Field Sales and Field Sales Manager:
- Perform sales tracking and analysis as needed
- Attend Publisher Marketing Meetings
- Create and Submit Expense Reports
- Monthly Field Sales Call Attendance and note-taking
- Weekly Grove Call Attendance
- Out-of-Office backup
- Help create Season-So-Far document for PGW and PBG. Send out to Field Sales and do initial formatting and editing.
Assist Sales and Field:
- Backup out-of-office contact for field accounts
- Work with CCM as needed to get accounts removed from credit hold
- Open new accounts with CCM and Jackson and follow up with reps on terms assignment
- Work with Field Sales Manager to implement Edelweiss protocols
- Work with Marketing Systems for weekly and special Athena title inclusion
- Create Seasonal Excel Order form for PGW/PBG/PD
- Organize and distribute special selling materials for Sales Department (e.g. sell sheets, special order forms, etc.) both in paper and web-based formats
- Coordinate Seasonal Sales Materials
- Work with Catalog Department on creation of printed catalogs as well as Edelweiss digital catalog for PGW.
- Organize Indie Spreadsheets with PGW/PBG and PD material (FHEG/FLR/Nascorp)
- Create Seasonal Sales Materials Timeline and share with Sales
- Compile Sales requirements for catalogs and marketing materials on a seasonal basis.
- Request Promo Codes for Stock Offers and Seasonal Backlist specials
- Organize weekly mailing of materials
- Maintain library of galleys and share with reps or accounts as needed
- Update Sales Roster as needed and send out to Sales and Marketing
- Coordinate with Marketing Dept. on seasonal and as-needed sales material and publisher information needs.
Assist with Event Order Placing and Coordination for PGW/PBG/PD:
- Solicit and track bookstore orders to support author tours
- Work with PGW/PBG/PD publishers on event venue selection
- Cc’ed on Author Events to help troubleshoot potential problems
- Work with publishers to facilitate non-trade event orders by offering State Mail Order option:
- Work with Event venue to coordinate order
- Send in order and credit card info to Jackson
- Work with Event venue to return unsold books
- Solicit and track bookstore orders to support author tours; particularly for Grove.
Assist with thrice-yearly sales conference
- Assist with PGW Sales Conference implementation
- Attend Planning Meetings; help create schedule
- Assist in planning any offsite dinners/parties; plan Cocktail Party with Office Opps; Order food for attendees
- Create Sales Conference folders with Projection and Advocate documents
Organize Regional Trade Shows (in conjunction with PBG Group Marketing)
- Pay Annual Dues for Field Reps
- Reserve space and pay registration for annual shows
- Coordinate show orders with Field Sales Manager and Field Sales
- Organize Drayage needs with PGW publishers
- Attend local show plus one other as representative of PGW/PBG/PD
- Liaise with customer service and credit control to facilitate orders and flow of information
- Daily sales rep, customer and publisher contact.
- Seasonal selling of New Books to local accounts and as needed
- General administrative support to Directors and department.
- Attend Hotlist weekly meeting and create document
- Create and disseminate annual Top 500 Indies store list
- Send in Sample Orders Seasonally
- Order frontlist for CR-North Library
- Order frontlist for Sales Shelves
- Order frontlist for Sean Shoemaker
- Maintain Conference Room Library / Sales Library
About Perseus Books Group
The Perseus Books Group is an independent company committed to enabling independent book publishers to reach their potential, whether those publishers are Perseus-owned, joint ventures or owned by third parties. Perseus publishing imprints include Avalon Travel, Basic Books, Basic Civitas, Da Capo Press, Da Capo Lifelong Books, Public Affairs, Running Press, Seal Press, Vanguard Press and Westview Press, as well as partnerships with The Newsweek/Daily Beast Company, The Nation Institute, and The Weinstein Company. Through Consortium, Perseus Distribution and Publishers Group West, as well as through its Constellation digital service offering which also supports Argo Navis Author Services and Faber Factory Powered by Constellation, the Perseus Books Group is the leading provider of sales, marketing, distribution and digital services, serving over 300 independent publishers. For more information, visit our websites at www.perseusbooks.com, and www.constellationdigital.com.
To Apply: Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Book Buyer & Inventory Manager at Kepler’s Books (Menlo Park)
Kepler’s Books in Menlo Park has an opening for a Book Buyer & Inventory Manager for general books. We’re looking for an experienced buyer with a passion for books who will work with our booksellers to find new and creative ways to get people excited about books. The ideal candidate will have deep knowledge of books, a passion for engaging with readers, a turn for analytics and metric thinking, a knack for team-oriented leadership and a constant attention to detail.
This is a full time position with competitive compensation and health benefits. This position offers the opportunity to help shape the future of a world-renowned bookstore.
Interested? Here’s what some of the job looks like:
- Coordinate and manage a collaborative buying program with input from a team of booksellers and event managers.
- Overall responsibility for frontlist buying, backlist re-ordering, and carrying great stock of books.
- Manage inventory based on store’s mission, historic sales, staff interest, and metrics.
- Manage relationships with book publishers.
- Collaborate with store managers to schedule and implement inventory-related operations, including returns and section management.
- Support booksellers and event managers for planning and implementing displays and store promotions, events, book reviews, and develop new and creative programs to get people excited about books.
Ideal candidates will have/be:
- Previous experience working in a bookstore.
- Deep knowledge of books, passion for reading and sharing your passion with others.
- Open to exploring new business models for bookstores.
- Outgoing personality, strong social skills, and public speaking skills.
- Creativity married to an obsession with details, and loads of initiative.
- Attentive to detail, meticulous, & comfortable performing repetitive tasks.
- Self-starting, and be able to work without much direction.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Process oriented with a bias for tracking metrics/analytics.
- Enthusiasm for a diverse catalog of literary events.
- Collaborative and comfortable working in a team oriented environment.
- Able to lift boxes of books weighing up to 50 lbs.
- We use Ibid-IE as a POS system, so experience with that is a plus.
- A college degree in literature, creative writing, education or a related field is a plus as well.
Applications must include a resume and a cover letter, which should address the following questions:
- What’s your vision for the role of a book buyer in a community bookstore that’s based in the heart of Silicon Valley and that serves a highly literate and tech savvy audience?
- What was the last book you really loved and why?
Incomplete applications will not be considered for an interview.
Kepler’s was founded in May 1955 by peace activist Roy Kepler. For 58 years, Kepler’s has been the intellectual and cultural hub for the San Francisco peninsula. Kepler’s is known for its outstanding literary events, knowledgeable staff, its broad selection of books and magazines, and for its deep ties to the community.
Kepler’s went through a planned transition in 2012 during which the business was re-started in a hybrid business model that includes a for-profit community-supported bookstore and a nonprofit events organization. Kepler’s vision is to continuously innovate to create a model community bookstore for the future that can be a sustainable cultural institution. More information about Kepler’s recent transition can be viewed at www.keplers2020.com
Kepler’s management team continues to be guided by its founder’s mission to open minds, deepen literacy, and promote critical thinking. More information about Kepler’s can be viewed at www.keplers.com. email@example.com