If you would like to have an advertisement placed on this page, please contact us.
Rates for a classified ad on this webpage are free to members, $25 to non-members, subject to NCIBA approval.
Job Opening at Copperfield’s Books: Full Charge Bookkeeper
Copperfield’s Books, with stores in Sonoma, Marin and Napa counties, has an immediate opening for a Full Charge Bookkeeper in our headquarters in Sebastopol.
Copperfield’s just celebrated its 33th anniversary and is one of the premier independent bookstores in the country.
We offer health and dental plans and a salary commensurate with experience. Please reply with a short bio and your resume.
SUMMARY: The full charge bookkeeper will manage the accounting department overseeing all aspects of the company’s financial activities while providing financial information to the president.
If you are interested please send a cover letter and resume to Leslie at email@example.com.
Modern Times Bookstore Collective is Hiring an Events Coordinator!
Modern Times is the West Coast’s oldest collectively-run independent bookstore and a proud member of the Network of Bay Area Worker Cooperatives and the Northern California Independent Bookseller’s Association. We are celebrating our 43rd year of book selling and rabble-rousing and carry a wide range of new and used books, including books in Spanish, host diverse community events, and maintain relationships with many progressive local organizations.
The Events Coordinator is a part-time, unbenefited position that starts at $10.74/hr, 12-16 hours per week. The Events Coordinator is eligible to potentially become a Modern Times Collective Member in the future. The Events Coordinator will work with a volunteer Events Committee to create unique, diverse and ongoing events for the Bookstore.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- booking and promoting in-store and off-site author readings, classes and events
- responding to requests for events and pro-actively creating diverse events with authors, publishers, publicists, bookbuyers, catalogues, political organizations and communities; obtaining promotional materials
- publicizing events through monthly calendar, press releases for print and online media, email lists, websites, social media and targeted outreach to organizations and businesses
- designing ads and bimonthly newsletter
- overseeing Web content
- maintaining email outreach list
- coordinating window displays highlighting events
- arranging for event setup at MT
- other tasks as assigned by MT collective and steering committee
- bookstore love and knowledge
- events coordination and organization
- experience and commitment to working collectively and with a wide range of individuals, including volunteers
- commitment to local community and social/racial/economic justice
- excellent verbal and written skills
- self-directed with strong time management skills
- attention to detail, flexibility; accountability; timeliness; sense of humor
- computer literacy, particularly with social media, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Mailchimp, Google Docs and Calendar
- bookstore experience
- familiarity with publicity and marketing protocols
- retail/sales/shipping/inventory management; customer service
- bilingual (Spanish/English)
- HTML and CSS content creation/troubleshooting on Wordpress
- email newsletter management with Mailchimp
- direct relationships with local authors and community/political organizations
- knowledge of current political landscape
- willingness to work at the Bookstore’s front desk
- interest in potentially becoming a MT collective member
Modern Times Bookstore Collective is located in the heart of SF’s Mission District, 2919 24th Street, SF 94110. We are open Monday-Saturday 11:00 – 9:00 and Sunday 11:00 – 8:00. To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 25, 2014. No phone calls please. Start Date: May (specific date TBD). We strongly encourage applications from those who identify as trans, gender queer, queer, people of color or women.
Variety of sizes needed. Seven foot height max. Lower half, or third, sloped out. High quality construction. Need photos and dimensions.
Matthew Sundt, Proprietor
OLD CAPITOL BOOKS
559 Tyler Street
Monterey, CA 93940
Operations Manager, FAMSF Museum Stores
Department: Retail Operations
Division: Finance and Operations
Reports to: Director of Retail Operations
Working Relationships: Creates and maintains positive working relationships with museum store staff, general museum staff, vendors, volunteers, customers, and museum members, visitors and colleagues.
Under the direction of Director of Retail Operations, the Operations Manager is responsible for the operational management of the FAMSF Museum Stores. The Operations Manager develops and determines strategies and implements policies, procedures, and training to ensure effective operational efficiency, sound fiscal management, proactive selling, superior customer service, and an overall positive visitor experience in the Museum Stores. Supervises and develops the Assistant Operations Manager, sales, stock, and customer service staff, and provides exceptional sales and customer service leadership to create a valuable team of museum store professionals. Responsible for ensuring income goals are met or exceeded, staff and supply budget is monitored, expenses are controlled, and inventory records are accurately maintained. Ensures the mission of the Retail Operations department is consistently communicated and fulfilled to achieve business success and customer satisfaction.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages daily operations of the de Young and Legion of Honor museum stores, including all satellite locations and exhibition stores to ensure smooth efficiency and profitability. Develops and implements sound operational policies and procedures in accordance with Museum standards.
- Recruits, hires, trains, supervises, coaches, and develops the Assistant Operations Manager, Lead Sales, sales, stock, and customer service staff to ensure high quality performance and professionalism.
- Motivates and trains staff on superior selling and customer service standards to attain and exceed sales goals and achieve consistently positive visitor experiences. Sets and exemplifies optimum retail and customer service standards for all staff.
- Develops and implements highly cost effective staffing schedules to ensure efficient personnel deployment and adequate floor coverage and to achieve optimum customer service and sales. Prepares weekly and monthly store staffing schedules and monitors frontline staff daily attendance.
- Processes and monitors daily frontline staff electronic timesheets, including holiday, sick, and vacation days. Approves bi-weekly electronic timesheets for supervised staff.
- Provides current and accurate communications to the frontline store staff about retail operation and general museum news and needs to ensure information is disseminated in a timely and consistent manner.
- Oversees daily restocking of the stores with the Buyers, Receiving and Fulfillment staff, and stock clerks to ensure adequate and timely delivery of stock to the sales floors and stock rooms to support sales goals.
- Ensures daily visual presentation of the stores are maintained and implemented per standards and direction set by the Visual Merchandiser and the Buyers.
- Coordinates with Buyers to ensure current product information and knowledge are disseminated to the frontline store staff. Trains staff and volunteers on an ongoing basis of all educational and mission-related attributes of the merchandise.
- Develops and controls annual store operations payroll and expense budget to ensure highest possible “net” revenue results. Creates a monthly payroll budget per the fiscal year based on operational and revenue requirements.
- Negotiates and purchases competitive store services, supply, and equipment contracts with vendors. Reviews supply and service invoices; verifies and approves invoices for payment. Handles all store banking transactions including change orders and deposits.
- Oversee and manage POS system software and hardware to ensure current and optimum performance. Troubleshoots problems and implements timely system upgrades.
- Oversees the annual physical inventory, including effective vendor negotiation, contracts, and project management. Manages the physical inventory process from start to finish with staff. Ensures accurate inventory reports from all locations and warrants precise records in the inventory system are current and maintained.
- Implements store marketing strategies on the frontline to attract new and repeat customers to the stores. Manages, coordinates, and implements store events such as special events, corporate events, author book signings, and in-store artist appearances.
- Plans and helps develop special projects such as system upgrades, store construction, renovation, retail expansion, and alternative revenue sources.
- Recruits and trains store volunteers. Develops and maintains positive productive relationships to retain a core group on an ongoing basis.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with all Museum departments. Represents the store’s interests to the general public to promote a positive image of the stores and Museums.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: BA Degree or higher with coursework in Business and Art History from an accredited college or university, OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Work Experience: Minimum of ten years experience in high-volume retail store operations management, preferably in a museum store or specialty store environment.
Skills & Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of professional principles and practices of retail store operations management, including staffing, scheduling, and payroll expertise, and financial management including budgeting, forecasting, analysis, and accounting.
- Knowledge of the principles and methods used in maintaining multiple and large retail store inventories of wide merchandise assortments and varied stock levels.
- Requires high attention to detail, accuracy, and excellent oral and written communication skills and professionalism in a manner reflective of the Museums’ brand.
- Superior organizational skills and abilities, including the ability to strategize, prioritize, and resolve issues and problems in a constructive and timely manner.
- Strong mathematical proficiency, including deep experience with retail calculations using spreadsheet applications.
- Must be a team player and a resourceful self-starter with strong initiative.
- Superior interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function as a strong leader by motivating others to perform well and excel.
- Ability to demonstrate and maintain a high level of customer service.
- Ability to work and interact effectively with customers, visitors, staff, vendors, volunteers, and the general public.
- Ability to multi-task and work under extreme pressure, balancing competing needs and timeframes.
- Ability to generate constructive new ideas and creative solutions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with all Museum stakeholders, including staff, donors, members, and professional colleagues.
- Proficient literacy with current state-of-the art retail industry software and hardware, including inventory systems, point-of-sale, and online merchandising interfaces.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel, Word, Power Point, and Outlook.
Work Schedule: 40 hours per week. Must work flexible schedule, including evenings, Tuesday through Saturday or Sunday, and sometimes Mondays due to special events.
Events Coordinator, Bookshop Santa Cruz
Responsibilities May Include:
- Evaluating potential events with an eye towards the Santa Cruz market including local interests, demographics, competition and previous event successes. Booking or denying events as needed.
- Seasonally writing proposals for New York publishing houses to attract author events to Bookshop Santa Cruz.
- Coordinating with multiple Bookshop departments including marketing, buying and floor staff to ensure the adequate representation and enthusiasm for each event.
- Coordinating public relations with major media outlets including writing press releases and networking with media partners around events.
- Creating and maintaining partnership opportunities with local community organizations and high profile local authors for coordinating events.
- Building relationships with publicists, sales reps and other publishing representatives to raise the profile of Bookshop Santa Cruz events.
- Hosting events as needed including event set-up, management of event staffing and working with authors as part of event host team.
- Coordinating off-site events with Bookshop staff.
- Annual travel to New York City (or elsewhere) to promote Bookshop events with publishing houses.
- Other duties as needed
Skills We Expect:
- Excellent written skills including experience writing marketing or public relations text.
- Excellent oral communication skills including confidence in publicly representing Bookshop Santa Cruz.
- Strong interpersonal skills including experience building and maintaining relationships with a diverse network of individuals and organizations.
- Good understanding of the Santa Cruz community (schools, organizations, politics, etc.)
- Strong organizational skills including attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Experience with working with media a plus
- Love of books and knowledge of a wide variety of books a must.
- Self-motivation, enthusiasm and willingness to learn
To apply, please email a resume, cover letter and references to email@example.com. Salary commensurate with experience + full benefits, 32-40 hours/week.
Sales Assistant, Perseus Books Group
This position provides sales, marketing, and administrative support to PGW’s Berkeley Sales Management and Field Sales Force.
Assist VP, Field Sales and Field Sales Manager:
- Perform sales tracking and analysis as needed
- Attend Publisher Marketing Meetings
- Create and Submit Expense Reports
- Monthly Field Sales Call Attendance and note-taking
- Weekly Grove Call Attendance
- Out-of-Office backup
- Help create Season-So-Far document for PGW and PBG. Send out to Field Sales and do initial formatting and editing.
Assist Sales and Field:
- Backup out-of-office contact for field accounts
- Work with CCM as needed to get accounts removed from credit hold
- Open new accounts with CCM and Jackson and follow up with reps on terms assignment
- Work with Field Sales Manager to implement Edelweiss protocols
- Work with Marketing Systems for weekly and special Athena title inclusion
- Create Seasonal Excel Order form for PGW/PBG/PD
- Organize and distribute special selling materials for Sales Department (e.g. sell sheets, special order forms, etc.) both in paper and web-based formats
- Coordinate Seasonal Sales Materials
- Work with Catalog Department on creation of printed catalogs as well as Edelweiss digital catalog for PGW.
- Organize Indie Spreadsheets with PGW/PBG and PD material (FHEG/FLR/Nascorp)
- Create Seasonal Sales Materials Timeline and share with Sales
- Compile Sales requirements for catalogs and marketing materials on a seasonal basis.
- Request Promo Codes for Stock Offers and Seasonal Backlist specials
- Organize weekly mailing of materials
- Maintain library of galleys and share with reps or accounts as needed
- Update Sales Roster as needed and send out to Sales and Marketing
- Coordinate with Marketing Dept. on seasonal and as-needed sales material and publisher information needs.
Assist with Event Order Placing and Coordination for PGW/PBG/PD:
- Solicit and track bookstore orders to support author tours
- Work with PGW/PBG/PD publishers on event venue selection
- Cc’ed on Author Events to help troubleshoot potential problems
- Work with publishers to facilitate non-trade event orders by offering State Mail Order option:
- Work with Event venue to coordinate order
- Send in order and credit card info to Jackson
- Work with Event venue to return unsold books
- Solicit and track bookstore orders to support author tours; particularly for Grove.
Assist with thrice-yearly sales conference
- Assist with PGW Sales Conference implementation
- Attend Planning Meetings; help create schedule
- Assist in planning any offsite dinners/parties; plan Cocktail Party with Office Opps; Order food for attendees
- Create Sales Conference folders with Projection and Advocate documents
Organize Regional Trade Shows (in conjunction with PBG Group Marketing)
- Pay Annual Dues for Field Reps
- Reserve space and pay registration for annual shows
- Coordinate show orders with Field Sales Manager and Field Sales
- Organize Drayage needs with PGW publishers
- Attend local show plus one other as representative of PGW/PBG/PD
- Liaise with customer service and credit control to facilitate orders and flow of information
- Daily sales rep, customer and publisher contact.
- Seasonal selling of New Books to local accounts and as needed
- General administrative support to Directors and department.
- Attend Hotlist weekly meeting and create document
- Create and disseminate annual Top 500 Indies store list
- Send in Sample Orders Seasonally
- Order frontlist for CR-North Library
- Order frontlist for Sales Shelves
- Order frontlist for Sean Shoemaker
- Maintain Conference Room Library / Sales Library
About Perseus Books Group
The Perseus Books Group is an independent company committed to enabling independent book publishers to reach their potential, whether those publishers are Perseus-owned, joint ventures or owned by third parties. Perseus publishing imprints include Avalon Travel, Basic Books, Basic Civitas, Da Capo Press, Da Capo Lifelong Books, Public Affairs, Running Press, Seal Press, Vanguard Press and Westview Press, as well as partnerships with The Newsweek/Daily Beast Company, The Nation Institute, and The Weinstein Company. Through Consortium, Perseus Distribution and Publishers Group West, as well as through its Constellation digital service offering which also supports Argo Navis Author Services and Faber Factory Powered by Constellation, the Perseus Books Group is the leading provider of sales, marketing, distribution and digital services, serving over 300 independent publishers. For more information, visit our websites at www.perseusbooks.com, and www.constellationdigital.com.
To Apply: Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.