If you would like to have an advertisement placed on this page, please contact us. Rates for a classified ad on this webpage are free to members, $25 to non-members, subject to NCIBA approval.
Museum Store Stockroom Coordinator
The Asian Art Museum is seeking an organized and enthusiastic individual to coordinate the activities of the museum’s stockroom and receiving area. The 1,700 square-foot store, offering a unique array of Asian and Asian-inspired merchandise, is a major visitor amenity at the spectacular museum facility.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Under the supervision of the Assistant Manager of Retail Operations, takes primary responsibility for museum stockroom operations:
- Receives, processes, and tickets merchandise; stocks floor with new merchandise as it arrives; maintains and restocks the sales floor.
- Communicates with Finance to process receiving documents for payment and to resolve over/shorts.
- Communicates with vendors regarding shipment damages, over/short, and cost discrepancies.
- Prepares and processes customer shipping orders efficiently and in a timely manner; responds to customer inquiry about email/phone orders.
- Maintains and orders supplies needed for store and stockroom; performs basic housekeeping. Coordinates and assists in the semi-monthly stockroom cleaning.
- Processes wholesale orders: creating order records, processing orders, tracking and shipping.
- Coordinates deliveries of merchandise with shippers and loading dock.
- Coordinates and performs pick-ups of merchandise and/or supplies from local vendors and offsite storage.
- Assists in periodic sales floor re-works, i.e. removal and set-up of display fixtures, bringing needed merchandise to the floor etc.
- Periodically participates in physical inventory including regular cycle counts and total inventory at fiscal year-end.
- Assists with customer pick-ups including loading merchandise into customers’ cars.
- Assists with customer service on the sales floor; handles customer sales transactions using a computerized cash register.
- Two (2) years of related experience, including shipping and receiving; receiving in bookstore setting desirable, due to complex nature of receipt process; some direct retail customer service experience also required
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; flexible and adaptable
- Extremely detail-oriented, meticulous, and conscientious in following through on assigned tasks; punctual and dependable; self-motivated
- Strong business math and problem-solving skills
- Ability to skillfully complete projects with minimal supervision
- Ability to interact with museum staff, volunteers, and the general public in a courteous, helpful, and efficient manner; problem-solve and exercise good judgment at all times; prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to drive the museum’s vehicles, including a minivan and pickup truck. Requires possession of a valid California driver’s license, and willingness to participate in the California DMV Pull Notice Program
- Some interest in or knowledge of Asian art and culture is a plus
Stockroom and retail store environment. Involves ongoing physical activity including frequent lifting, stooping, bending, and reaching. Requires physical mobility and dexterity. Ability to lift or move up to 70 lbs. Ability to work a schedule that will include weekend hours and may include occasional evening hours. Schedule may periodically be adjusted to meet operational needs.
Position starts at $20.16 per hour* and has an excellent benefits package. Please note: 1. *New hires start at the beginning of the salary range. 2. This position is represented by SEIU 1021.
The Asian Art Museum is one of the largest museums in the Western world devoted exclusively to Asian art and culture. Home to more than 17,000 works of art from over 40 Asian countries, we strive to be a catalyst for discovery, dialogue, and inspiration. With Asia as our lens and art as our cornerstone, we spark connections across cultures and through time, igniting curiosity, conversation, and creativity.
The Asian Art Museum embraces diversity in its mission, programs, and staff.